I am Montessori trained with over 20 years experience of working in preparatory schools and day nurseries. In 2005, I attended a study tour in Reggio Emilia, Northern Italy. This experience clarified my views on children’s capabilities and had a profound impact on my approach to early years education.
I believe passionately in children’s creativity, play and their right to quality early years provision to enhance their outcomes in life.
The Reggio Emilia Approach
In Reggio Emilia, after World War II, Louris Malaguzzi established a pre-school followed by several infant and toddler centres. These delivered a child-centred approach to learning, giving children time to develop their own theories of the world around them. Meanwhile, the staff listened to, respected and valued these theories, allowing the children to test and discover for themselves.
The Reggio Emilia Approach is now respected and valued worldwide.
Fundamental to the Reggio philosophy is that the child is rich in potential, strong, powerful and competent with the ability to construct his or her own learning, developing creativity which is inbuilt from birth.
Consultancy, workshops and training
I provide both consultancy advice for nurseries and pre-schools who have also been inspired by this approach to early years education, and training for those who wish to discover more.
My services include:
- Post-inspection support
- Implementation of the EYFS
- Working alongside nurseries and pre-schools that are inspired by the Reggio Approach to learning to enhance their provision and understanding
- Reggio Approach – a creative and reflective approach to early years education
- Active learning – an opportunity for reflection of current practice
- Project-based learning – exploring the relationship between experiences, environment and reflective dialogue to sustain short and long term projects
- Observation assessment and planning
- The environment as the third teacher
- Treasure baskets and heuristic play
My clients include:
- Little Barn Owls Day Nursery and farm school, Horsham
- Reflections Nursery & Forest School, Worthing
- Little Learners Childcare, Corby
- Waverley Preparatory School and Nursery, Wokingham
All training and consultancy projects can be tailored to suit your needs. Please contact me to discuss your requirements.
I look forward to hearing from you.
My training sessions and workshops are designed to encourage you to reflect on your current practice and to explore your provision in a creative way, hence the name Creative Explorers.
Please contact me for more information.